Home Forum Featured Projects Tutorials Reviews Chat

WARNING: This Forum is no Longer Active!
The UltimateComputers.net Community was shut down to new registrations and posts on January 17th, 2011. This site is still alive as an archive only. See this post for more information about the shut down. Jeremy (the admin) has blogged a history of the site here.
It is currently Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:18 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 All Good Things must come to an End 
Administrator
Administrator

Tech Knowledge: High Understanding
CPU: Intel Q9450/400MHz*8
GPU: NVidia GTX260/Core-710MHz/Mem-1130MHz
Memory: OCZ Reaper/4GB/5-7-7-22/960MHz
All Good Things must come to an End
NOTE: ALL FORUM POSTS NOW REDIRECT HERE. THE FORUM HAS BEEN SHUTDOWN AND POSTS ARE NO LONGER VIEWABLE.

Well guys, it's been fun. We launched UltimateComputers.net in the Summer of 2007 - ancient history when it comes to computers. UltimateComputers.net served as a great place for lots of people to exchange ideas, get help, and learn about technology. I'm really happy with how the community turned out, and how all of you came together.

I've learned a tremendous amount from UltimateComputers.net. This website was my first major foray into PHP and mySQL development, as well as dedicated Linux server administration. Naturally, we hit some roadblocks along the way. Despite the occasional downtime or database crash, up-time was relatively good considering our budget.

As you all know, UltimateComputers.net has experienced somewhat of a downward spiral over the last few months. This has been due to a number of factors, including me not having enough time to moderate the site, an increase in "hold-my-hand" topics, human spam bots, and more. UltimateComputers.net has gotten expensive to host as the amount of content in the forums has increased, and I think most of you will agree that the quality of the community has been diminishing. For these reasons, Zach (legolas) and I have decided it would be best to "lock" ultimatecomputers.net to new registrations and content. What this means is that all existing content will be preserved, but no new posts will be permitted, and the forum will be turned into an archive of information. This will allow us to move to the site to our other (less expensive) server, and will keep the useful information on this site available to everybody.

Zach and I will start to work on this transition soon, probably starting on January 17th, so start saying your goodbyes and exchanging contact information if you want to stay in touch with each other.

If you have any kind words regarding your time here, what you learned, the people you met, etc, please reply below - I'd love to hear your thoughts. You might also wish to share information regarding other forums to visit.

I'm sorry if this causes any major inconveniences, but hopefully everybody will understand. Thanks for your loyalty, and hopefully all our paths will cross again in the future.

PS. This does not mean I will stop making youtube videos, and the UC.net Folding team will remain active.

PPS. A huge thanks to the moderators who made this site amazing. Thanks so much guys.

Silverstone TJ09-BW Case eVGA x58 Classified Motherboard eVGA GTX470 Fermi Video Card Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.4GHz GB Triple Channel OCZ DDR3 RAM @ 2GHz 2TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD 1TB WD Caviar Black SATA HDD Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler Scythe Slipstream 120mm Fans + Zalman Controller 1TB External HDD Silverstone 1kW Active PFC PSU DVD+RW Lightscribe Burners (x2) Sabrent Card Reader Windows 7 Professional x64

SAMSON
Lian Li PC-A05NB Case eVGA 750i FTW Motherboard eVGA GTX260 Superclocked Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 4 GB Dual Channel OCZ DDR2 RAM 1TB Samsung SpinPoint SATA 500GB Samsung SpinPoint SATA (x2) Ultra X3 800W PSU Asus DVD+RW Burner Windows 7 Pro x64

MERCURY
Koolance Watercooled Case (CPU, GPU and RAM are watercooled) Asus P5K Deluxe eVGA GeForce 8800GTX Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 4 GB Dual Channel Mushkin DDR2 RAM 1TB Raid 0 SATA 320GB SATA 750GB eSATA Creative Soundblaster Audigy 4 Coolmax 700W PSU DVD+RW DL Burners (x2) Vista Ultimate 32bit

*Subscribe to my YouTube Channel*
*Check out my Blog*
*Follow me on Twitter*

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 am
Profile WWW
Administrator
Administrator

Tech Knowledge: Somewhat High Understanding
Re: All Good Things must come to an End
Hey guys, well sciguy summed it up really well but I also wanted to thank all our members and moderators for making this site so great. Working on this site was a great learning experience for me, and it's partially why I decided to major in computer science. I know I've never really been too active on these boards, but I'm really happy that you guys have used all the functionality that sciguy and I have programmed in over the years. Thanks again everyone (except the spam bots)!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:03 am
noob
noob

Tech Knowledge: Average Understanding
CPU: Intel core 2 duo T6600/2.2 GHZ
GPU: Intel integrated series 4
Memory: Unknown DDR3/4G
I'm sorry to hear this. Although ive only been a member of the site a short while ive been following your work for quite some time now. Your explanations and assistance have helped me get my Comptia A+ cert and a few others like it. Thank you Jeremy and thanks to all the people that made his work possible.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 am
1337 H@cK3R
1337 H@cK3R

CPU: core i7 920 d0
GPU: 2 way sli EVGA 285
Memory: G skill 6GB ?-?-?-? =D 4got cba to check
a big shame this site must end, but its understandable :cry: . beed good time here and really thank all the help iv gotten here. if it ever gets "reborn" please email us =D but yeah, uc is one of my 4 pinned tabs on chrome, gunna be sad to see it go.

| 6 GB or Gskill RAM / EVGA X58 3X sli MoBo / Zalman heatpipe cooled quiet psu / Blueray/hd dvd drive
| Silverstone Raven Case / 3 * 500gb Seagate HDD RAID 0 / completely unplugged fan controller
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\
--------------------------------------
GOODBYE UC.NET! love ya all :)
BBBLLLLLAAAAAAARRRRGGGGG!!

Last edited by thelethalmoo on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:57 am
novice
novice

Oh wow. This is such sad news. Moreso for the reason I've not long discovered this site and when I found it I felt so excited that such a forum existed with all this information that I wanted to learn and even more excited when I thought of how good it was to have a forum of people to talk to about computers and who could give me tips, advice and such. If only I discovered this site much much earlier. :(

Good luck with the future everyone, although you all dont know me too well I still loved this site. Thanks Jeremy and legolas. And goodbye to Ultimate Computers.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:58 am
noob
noob

CPU: Intel Celeron 550 2.0GHz
GPU: Integrated Intel
Memory: Corsair DDR2 4GB
I only found out about this site a few days ago, and had noticed that is wasn't very active anymore. However, I must say it is a real shame considering the knowledge and talent that this site had access to. I guess I'll count this as my hello and farewell post.

PS I agree with the poster above that asked for an email on the off chance you decide to revive the forum, please email us

Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:24 am
geek
geek

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core/2200MHz
GPU: ATI 4650 HD-600 Mhz 1 Gig-800 Mhz
Memory: Kingston/2 Gigs/5300/5-5-5-15/667Mhz
Alas a sad day. I've used this site alot just to keep in touch with computer trends. And to troubleshoot many of my machines issues.

Thanks sciguy and legolas for keepin it running as long as you guys did. My hats off to you.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:00 pm
novice
novice

It's the 17th now where I live so this will likely be the final post I get to make here...

Goodbye UC. I enjoyed the short but sweet time I had here reading up the old topics and finding out new stuff. Goodbye to everyone else in the forum and so long but not farewell to sciguy as I will be sure to stay subscribed to your youtube and will still see your cool projects there.

Thank you again for making this forum, if it wasnt for this forum I would likely have not gotten into building computers myself like I am persuing now.

Good bye one and all!

- Tom

*salutes*

Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:41 pm
1337 H@cK3R
1337 H@cK3R

CPU: core i7 920 d0
GPU: 2 way sli EVGA 285
Memory: G skill 6GB ?-?-?-? =D 4got cba to check
ridiculous, like the last day and the biggest spam attack iv seen hits, little bit depressing eh?

| 6 GB or Gskill RAM / EVGA X58 3X sli MoBo / Zalman heatpipe cooled quiet psu / Blueray/hd dvd drive
| Silverstone Raven Case / 3 * 500gb Seagate HDD RAID 0 / completely unplugged fan controller
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\
--------------------------------------
GOODBYE UC.NET! love ya all :)
BBBLLLLLAAAAAAARRRRGGGGG!!

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:03 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]